For the Girls
For many women, meeting up with your girlfriends for lunch or dinner is often something anxiously anticipated for days. For you guys, it might be a special meal with mom or the ladies in your family, or just a dad on duty the morning after a slumber party.
Well, Kansas City offers some wonderful spots for a girls get-together and, of course, gab-fest. Below is my list of recommendations for your next ladies lunch, girls night out, or simply a special meal with a special lady in your life.
- Webster House – This historic landmark has cornered the market on a fine feminine outing in KC. Next to the new Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts, this restored schoolhouse dating to the late 1800’s is part antique shop, part restaurant, part gifts and clothing, but ALL girl! (The selection of one-of-a-kind, local, hand-made jewelry is outstanding.) It can be your one-stop-shop for interiors, unique apparel and afternoon tea. And if your girlfriends are fans of the movie Steel Magnolias, be sure to order the fried green tomatoes. I haven’t had the chance to dine at Webster House since Chef Matt Arnold came onboard, but I hear from a reliable source that the food is fantastic.
- Grand Street – A nice relaxing place to talk (and hear), Grand street is a staple for my dinners with girlfriends. The food is consistently good and you can choose numerous healthy items from their regular menu. And a bonus for this Plaza location, the parking lot makes access super easy – a must for my friends packing baby carriers! If you have a weekend gathering, their Sunday brunch is one of the best in town!!
- Cafe Sebastienne – If you’re looking for fantastic food in a fun, beautiful and artistic spot, look no further than this hidden treasure inside the Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art. Enjoy a talkative lunch in the airy atrium soaked in natural light or cozy into a corner of the boldly decorated dining room covered with floor to cieling art. Service is spectacular.
- Extra Virgin – My pick for a great start to a girls night on the town. Lively and fun, this Crossroads spot can offer some real adventures in tasting. Try the Escargot Bolognese or the Bone Marrow with grilled bread. Between the unique drinks and sometimes rare but share-worthy food, it will be a night to remember. But don’t worry, for your not-so-adventurous friends the menu has plenty of traditional options.
- Story – Weekday lunch, weekend brunch or weeknight gatherings are all made a little better when done at Story.I’ve recently had some wonderful girlfriend lunches and dinners there. The $18 pre fixe lunch is a deliciously decadent deal! Don’t miss the Butternut Squash Bisque.
And the Village Shopping Center has plenty of great boutiques and specialty shops to meet all your retail therapy needs (Plus The Better Cheddar and Rimann’s are a must-do for all us foodie and wino folks).
- Seasons 52 – When we ladies are on the straight-and-narrow of dieting, we want a place that has options! Well, this is the place to find them. From crispy flatbreads to steaks and all the salad, soup, chicken, fish and pork options in between, at under 475 calories per plate the diet doesn’t have to derail. But be careful! A shared appetizer, salad, entrée and dessert combined could boost you over your daily calorie goal in just one meal.
- Wesport Bar & Cafe– I love it for a “Let’s Catch Up” lunch, my friends hit it for a Friday night out with the girls. No matter when you stop in, you will enjoy the upbeat vibe, the beautiful rustic interior and the delicious food. Their Pimm’s Mimosa is the perfect way to start off your dinner with the gals.
- Wines by Jennifer – While you can’t get a full meal here, this downtown Parkville gem could not be more perfect for a girls gathering. Pick one of the many gorgeous rooms in this old house and settle in for a glass of wine and conversation or take part in an expert led tasting. You can order a cheese plate or other small bites, relax on the front porch or back patio. No matter how you do it, your guests will love it!