Happy with my Hummus
The simplicity of hummus can be so satisfying. And a great hummus appetizer with warm soft pita bread has filled my belly and deterred a big dinner on many occasions. That’s because good hummus is just so hard to resist. You want to keep dipping that pita into the creamy, smooth, flavorful mixture!
It’s a straightforward dish to be savored and shared when done right. Just a basic combination of chickpeas, tahini, olive oil and lemon juice – you wouldn’t think there would be much room for error. But the disparity between average restaurant hummus and an immaculate compilation of those simple ingredients can be breath-taking. The “fall to your knees, begging for the recipe” kind can turn a doldrum day into a sun-shiney, my-life-is-wonderful event. As you can tell, I’m a very happy camper when I get some GOOD hummus.
So here’s my list. These are my favorite spots for an exceptional hummus experience.
- Habashi House – hands down the most heavenly hummus around! Generously topped with olive oil, you’ll find a nice amount of garlic throughout the fluid mixture. The amount of flavor in one bite is nearly criminal!
- Yia Yia’s Eurobistro – light but packed full of perfectly balanced seasoning, and a great price for an upscale dining appetizer (I love this place!)
- Jerusalem Cafe – just darn good, a KC go-to
- The Cashew – never been there without ordering their hummus, savory and smooth
- Little Egypt – rich and creamy, lightly spiced